Fresh Beet Fettucine

Above are the flour covered beet fettuccine noodles before they were cooked.
Here they are after they have been cooked and topped with alfredo sauce. They are a lighter shade after they are boiled and taste just like plain fettuccine noodles. The beet taste was not noticeable at all which was great for me, because I have not yet acquired a favorable taste towards beets.

My sister had given me a bag of organic beets as she purchases a weekly basket of tasty vegetables from Moondance Organic Gardens. She always tells me how great beets are for your health, so I thought I would give them a try.


I happened to be making fresh noodles so I thought, why not juice some beets and replace the water in the recipe with beet juice. I am so glad I did, because now I don't have to feel guilty about not having a side of vegetables with my fettuccine alfredo!

Here is the recipe for beet noodles:


3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup beet juice (approximately 3 medium sized beets)
1 tsp. salt
1 egg

Instructions:

1.Mix all of the ingredients together and then knead until it becomes a nice dough.
*I put all of the ingredients into a KitchenAid Stand Mixer,then mixed it on low with the dough hook attachment until it formed into a ball. So if you happen to have a stand mixer, this would be the easiest way.
2. Cover the dough for about an hour.
3. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, then flatten it to 1/8" thick.
4. Cut the flattened dough into noodles, then boil them for 7 minutes.
5. Serve with alfredo sauce, tomato sauce, pesto, butter, or any sauce you prefer.

*I rolled the dough oblong, then cut it into 4 pieces. I then put each piece through the Pasta Roller Attachment of the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. After that, I put the sheet of pasta through the fettuccine cutter attachment. Once I had my fettuccine, I dusted the noodles with flour so that they would not stick together. Once again, if you have a pasta roller or cutter, it would be much easier to form the noodles this way.

For tips on how to cook the perfect pasta, check out these pasta cooking tips.

I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com




Comments