Saturday, March 23, 2013
It's a lot of fun to decorated boiled eggs and then hide them around the house for the kids to find along with sweet treats! However, finding something to do with all of those boiled Easter eggs may be a challenge. Depending on how many of them you make, the kids may not want to eat them all.
As a child I ate many many eggs when it came Easter time, because I really liked boiled eggs. I wouldn't eat the yolk though! Nowadays, I know I have to eat the yolk and try to make sure the kids eat the whole egg.
If you are stuck for ideas, feel free take a peek at a few of these ones. I have put together a list of 10 things to do with Easter Eggs! You can incorporate them into different dishes or make them the main item in the creation.
1. Slice in half lengthwise and serve with salt and pepper
2. Deviled Eggs- Peel, then halve 6 boiled eggs, and take the yolks out and put into a bowl. Arrange the egg white halves onto a platter. Mix the yolks with 3 tbsp.mayonnaise, 1 tsp. ranch dressing, 1 tsp. mustard, 1 tsp. minced onion, salt and pepper to taste. Refill the egg white halves with the egg yolk mixture and sprinkle some paprika on top if desired. Feel free to double the recipe if you would like to use a dozen eggs instead.
3. Cobb Salad-chopped iceberg lettuce, topped with pecans, sliced boiled eggs, grated carrot, chopped tomatoes, cooked and sliced chicken breast and bacon. Finish it off by adding your favorite dressing. I prefer ranch for this one!
4. Sliced Egg and Bacon Bagel (throw on some lettuce or sliced tomatoes and mayonnaise, depending on how you like your sandwich)
5. Cut into chunks and add them to Potato Salad
6. Cut into chunks, they can be added to Pasta Salad
7. This is an obvious one, but very popular in my house! Make egg salad sandwiches
8. Spinach Salad- fresh, washed baby spinach topped with chopped tomato, bacon bits and sliced boiled egg. Finish it up with your favorite vinaigrette dressing. My preference is poppy seed vinaigrette for this salad.
9. Toss 2 peeled, whole boiled eggs in a small pot with 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. of water and a half tbsp. of oil. Stir to coat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve with simple white rice.
10. Pack them for lunch or eat them for a snack. Peeled and plain!
What do you do with your boiled eggs? Feel free to comment below. :)
Thursday, March 14, 2013
This colorful and fun stir fry dish was as tasty as it was pretty too. My kids loved it! The sweet and fruity burst that the mango added was nicely balanced with the onions and peppers. Of course, shrimp is always a big hit in our household too.
To make this stir fry, you will need the following ingredients:
1 red bell pepper (cut into pieces about 1.5" in size)
1 green bell pepper (sliced into 1/2" pieces)
1 large onion (cut into wedges)
1 pound of raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 mango, cut into 1/2" slices (ripe, but still firm works best)
1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
3 tbsp. Plum Sauce
1.5 tbsp. cooking oil of your choice (I like to use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil on high in a large Wok or pot.
2. Toss in the onions and cook them in the oil for about a minute.
3. Add the remaining vegetables and shrimp and mix around until shrimp is fully cooked.
4. Add the mango, soy sauce and plum sauce. Mix well. (Still over high heat)
5. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. (Optional)
6. Serve with rice or noodles.
If you decide to make this dish, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I know that I always end up with a mess all over my clothes after cooking in the kitchen. Especially when I am in a hurry!
It really does help to wear an apron, particularly when I am having guests over. I like to be dressed and ready to entertain, then finish everything that needs to be done in the kitchen.
If I wear an apron, I don't have to be as careful because I can just throw the apron in the laundry basket when I'm done cooking! I don't get caught opening the door with stains all over my clothes. Lol.
I have a few Flirty Aprons and they also have adorable bibs for toddlers!
Even the kids can stay clean. Right now through March 14th, the Toddler Bibs are buy one get one FREE!
The coupon code is "BIBFREE" and can be used at flirtyaprons.com