Organic Vegetables



I have been trying to eat a more well balanced diet, especially since I not only cook for myself, but for my family as well. A typical visit to the grocery store would include picking up the usuals: broccoli, carrots, lettuce, potatoes...nothing extraordinary. Sometimes, I would pick up the organic vegetables if available. Once I discovered that I could get a basket of farm fresh organic vegetables each week, I thought, "Why not? Something different each week for my family and I to try." I find the nice thing is that it's fresh, in season, within that "100 kilometer range", and more flavorful.
Every Wednesday, we take a trip to the farm which is only 20 minutes away and we get our share of fresh organic vegetables which include things like: kale, spinach, cucumbers, carrots, assorted beans, peas, bulb onions, peppers, tomatoes, beets, beet greens, potatoes, garlic, herbs (dill, rosemary, cilantro, thyme etc). It has been fun so far because we also try new recipes or get to reinvent some favorite recipes. I don't think my fridge would have such a variety of vegetables if we simply went to the grocery store. I also love that we get to support a local farm.

Comments