Garlic Chili Oil Recipe


Garlic chili oil is one of my favorite things to add to a bowl of soup, especially noodle soup. Sometimes it is also called szechuan chili oil or chili garlic sauce and it adds just the right amount of flavor and spice to many different dishes. One teaspoon per bowl is enough for me, but I know others who like their soup full of spice. Chili oil is popular in Asian cuisine as ketchup is to fries.

Making chili oil is quite simple. I brown one head of minced garlic in a pan containing one cup of vegetable oil.

I must always remember to remove the pan from the heat as soon as the garlic starts to turn golden because I sometimes end up burning the garlic and have to start all over again.

Next, I put 1/4 cup of chili flakes into a 500ml glass jar.

Once my garlic and oil mixture has cooled off, I pour it into the jar of chili flakes, stir it, close the lid and I have garlic chili oil to last me a while.



Always use a clean spoon to scoop from the jar and be sure to get a good mix of oil, garlic and chili.

Chili oil can be added to wonton soup, congee (rice porridge), udon soup, fried rice, stirfry, chicken, pork, beef, bbq dishes, and seafood among many other dishes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi, how do u store this? in the fridge or just in the cupboard? and how long do they actually last? (likesay, if you don't use it all the time or forgot about them for a while) thanks!!
Marie said…
It lasts a very long time as long as you use a clean and dry spoon each time you scoop out the chili oil to add to whatever you are eating with it. If you use a wet or unclean spoon, then the mixture will go bad. I have always stored it in a glass jar in the cupboard.